Longing for Adobe Photoshop but don't have the money to buy it? Consider GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) instead. This software is a subsidiary of GNU, an operating system that's used to provide free alternatives to many current computer programs. GIMP has all of the same basic photo editing capabilities as Photoshop (cropping, resizing, layers, curves, intelligent selection tools, etc.) and, once learned, can turn out stylish results for photo retouching and image composition. Although it's not quite up to Photoshop's caliber in all areas, it works well for most amateur photographers who want to give a professional edge to their pictures.
Program: GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program)
Internet address: http://www.gimp.org
Description: A photo editing program that has all of the same basic capabilities as Adobe Photoshop, but free!
Language: English, Croatian, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish
Useful Info: Available for free download from a variety of sources on a variety of operating systems (Unix, Windows, Mac).
- Fairly easy to use
- Many tutorials available
- Extensive help page
- Many tools
- No official download is available for download from its website (although they provide links to downloads)
- Some bugs
- Cannot be used to draw shapes
- Go to the GIMP website.
- Follow their links to download the latest version of GIMP.
- Go to their tutorials pages and work through the tutorials to learn the basics of using GIMP.
- Experiment with your own photographs!